Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mindo




Our B&B owner warned us before we climbed on the bus for Mindo, "Watch your things and don't fall asleep." So I wrapped my purse strap around my leg and settled in for our 2 1/2 hour 5 000 foot descent to Mindo, looking forward to feeling normal again. I'd felt as though I'd been on a two day bender with altitude problems.





I looked around the bus. In front of us there was a breastfeeding mother, toward the back of the bus two young women from an Eastern country and in the middle two other couples. Where are all the thugs I thought, disentangling my leg from the purse strap.




Banana loved by Hummingbirds


Mindo is famous for its exotic birds and butterflies. It's a very small town built around tourism with some buildings finished and many under perpetual construction. In Ecuador, interest rates for loans, including mortgages are 18%. So people pay cash for what they can. I guess that's why so many houses are unfinished.




We're on the second floor



Bob organized all aspects of this adventure and I trusted his better judgement. But when we arrived where we are staying now, I said, "You've got to be kidding." But then I thought, Nothing ventured nothing gained. "We're on the third floor?" I asked.




Ginger added to some chocolate



This afternoon we toured a chocolate making factory and saw the whole process from fermentation through to the final product. Fascinating. We leave at six tomorrow morning with a bird watching guide for a three hour hike under the forest canopy. I hope to post some colourful photos for you.






This is a Stevia plant. The factory is experimenting with it as a sweetener for chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment