Monday, November 25, 2013

Finding a Way

Yesterday, I had no doubt that our driver to the Incan ruins, a native of Cuenca, would know the route. However, sometimes there are surprises. If, for example, city planners decide to reconstruct at the same time all the roads leading in a certain direction, you can get into a muddle.

And so having tried three routes to the ruins yesterday on progressively smaller roads, we found ourselves on a rutted rocky, narrow trail, the car's wheels thoroughly mired in a primitive drainage ditch.

I said to Jaime, "I'm getting out. That will lighten the load." Bob got out too, and engineer that he is started collecting rocks to fill the ditch. I sauntered off to take photos, knowing the fellows would find a way.

Carpe diem photos --







A shepherdess.

















Potato crop.






Bob and I usually walk around together on these trips, Bob with a guide book in one hand and a map in the other. I have my camera and generally pay more attention to the people, to the design of buildings or to the quality of light than to street names and directions.

Today we separated. I had a mission and Bob had his own. Bob had said, "Remember, two turns to the right and one to the left." Later on, I more or less followed his directions. But I got lost in the less part of the equation. In frustration I looked up and lo and behold there were the blue church spires that we see from our hotel room window. I had found my way.

That is the way this trip is turning out. After Cuenca, we know we are heading north to Riobamba. But how we'll get there is still a mystery. We are trying to avoid an inexpensive six hour bus ride on a chicken bus or an expensive flight north to Quito and then somehow back south again.

I love the way we travel, often bumbling along. But sometimes I wonder what travelling on a cruise ship would be like where you'd put your things in one place and forget about them. I spend a lot of time looking for things that have wandered away.

Today I bought my third Spanish book, the first I'm actually reading. Yippee. My instructor suggested that Bob and I speak only in Spanish. Vamos a ver.

No comments:

Post a Comment