Saturday, November 23, 2013

Breathless at 13 000 Feet


Today's hike at Parque National Cajas felt just like strugging in the Himalayas. Guide books tell us that the park is in the Occidental Montain Range of the Ecuadorian Andes. Even though Cuenca's altitude is 8 000 feet, add another 5 000 feet and you feel it. We stopped a lot to catch our breath. Bob got a frontal headache. Not me! Smirk. We are pinching ourselves that we are here high in the Andes.

The trail's signage begins impressively. We were relieved because we were warned that it's easy to get lost on the trails. Piece of cake I thought. Then all of a sudden the signs disappeared. In the blink of an eye we got lost for the first time -- after a huge descent where we hung onto trees and bits of grass to get down. Then we had to climb all the way back up. What a workout.

Then I slipped into a mudhole. Bob said, "Pull your boot out slowly so you won't lose it." Jeeze. I squished along the rugged trail for the next three hours.



























































































































People here call this tree a Paper Tree.





































The hole I fell into. It felt like quicksand. Bob grabbed me to stop my leg from slipping down further. It was totally yukky.











Steep trails.


We prepared well with both down and Gortex rain jackets. Ice pellets showered down during the last hour -- more pleasant than rain and interesting sound effects.

Tomorrow I'll send photos from an Inca Ruin. Best from Bob and I.



Location:Mariscal Sucre,Cuenca,Ecuador

No comments:

Post a Comment