Saturday, November 2, 2013

From There to Here



Late one evening a number of years ago, Bob and I slipped out for a walk from an inn in Baume Les Messieurs, a medieval town in eastern France. As we picked our way along cobblestone streets, we heard music filtering through the darkness. It led us to an ancient abbey where vocalists and musicians were enacting the annual visit from a neighbouring village in the 1200s. In those days that was how news got around, once a year by mouth.

So when I am whisked away someplace very different from home or when I post instant messages as I am now, I think of the magic of that church. And it's always a surprise to me that we can be raking fall leaves in the chilly Caledon air one day and walking on a hot sandy beach the next.

Life was beyond busy before leaving on this seven week jaunt to Florida and Ecuador. I had just arrived home from a whirlwind family visit to B.C. and while I was away having fun, Bob had been labouring with real estate business and closing down the house and gardens for winter. Now after all that frenzy, here we are reading and strolling. 

I'll post photos over the next week from here in Indian Shores on the Gulf of Mexico. I'm sitting on a balcony now overlooking the inter-coastal waters. Rain is falling in sheets making the air look like Brigadoon's scrim.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment