Saturday, March 30, 2013

Julio Escoto, Honduran Writer

The family having el amuerzo not far from my table the other day fascinated me for some reason. Their conversation was animated. They spoke Spanish. But because we were in a tourist restaurant, I figured they weren't from here.

There were five at the table, two couples: an older couple and a younger with their daughter. The younger woman smiled as she passed on her way out. So I asked her where they were from. "San Salvador", she said. We chatted a little. Then, as her father passed my table, he gave me a literary magazine, ImaginaciĆ³n. "I wrote this," he said. "It's for you."

I couldn't have been more surprised or curious. Who was this man? So I did some research and then sent an email to the contact address. A couple of days later, I received a reply. "Yes, I'm the guy," he said. "My wife and I are here for another couple of days. Why don't we get together?" (all in Spanish.)

So that's how I found myself last night sharing wine with Julio Escoto, a well known Honduran, novelist, short story teller and essayist and his wife, a former ballerina who now owns a ballet school.

From Book Rags

"The works of Julio Escoto comprise one of the most vital segments of Honduran fiction during the last three decades of the twentieth century. His novels and short stories have been a regular focus of attention for critics and have inspired countless young writers.

Living in a country that continues to be wracked with political, economic, and class turmoil, Escoto consistently proposes through his writings that changes in society begin with changes in individuals.

His work reveals the two sides--constructive and destructive--of human nature. Through a variety of techniques, themes, voices, characters, periods, and events, Escoto's writings continually explore the question of identity--of the individual Honduran, of Honduras as a nation, and of Hondurans as Latin Americans.

Identity to Escoto is not an abstract concept but a journey that must be made with courage and honesty, a quest in which the seeker must be prepared to confront and overcome his [own demons.]"

 

What a treat it was to talk with such a lovely couple!

Next post. "Vistas from Here"

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment