Thursday, March 21, 2013

For the Birds

eye to the world

 

Sometimes it takes time to find beauty beneath the rubble. For me it's been that way here. People are so incredibly friendly and helpful. I've had to ask for directions a ton of times and everywhere people have gone out of their way to help.

The other night I went out for a cup of tea, and it being the first night with my new "family," and being night time, I got myself turned around (of course). So I asked a friendly looking guard along the street where Hotel Puenta Maya was. He had no clue and suggested I ask another fellow up the street. That guy had no clue either. "I'm looking for the house across the street from the hotel," I said. (Houses here don't have numbers.)

"Who lives there?" he asked. "Enelda and Ivan," I said, not knowing even their last name. "I know exactly where they live," he said. It seems that everyone knows everyone here.

At the end of the day today, as the the Macaw Mountain Bird Park and Nature Reserve was closing, the young guy in the souvenir shop stopped his bike where I was waiting for my "taxi." I'm going to wait until your ride comes," he said. Nice.

sudden encounter

This fellow was sitting quietly on his perch while I was getting my camera out. All of a sudden he flew to the edge of the cage inches from where I was standing. I practically levitated.

 

 

the Scarlet Macaw -- sexy business

 

 

 

 

The Scarlet Macaws live to age 80.

On a chance visit here in 2010 , Dr. Jamie Gilardi, Director of The World Parrot Trust, was surprised by the number of parrots flying freely in the Copan Valley as they did in Mayan times over a thoudand years ago.

He began a serious reintroduction program. Experienced parents are placed in the same enclosed area as new parents. Young birds have already hatched and are being placed in another large area for wing strengthening. When they are ready, they'll be let out into the wild. Incredible.

catching on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Naked Indian Tree
posing by the river

 

 

 

three young caballeros

 

These are the three boys in my new family. They are unbelieveably well behaved. We've had a lot of laughs together.

Hasta manana

 

No comments:

Post a Comment