Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Under the Same Moon



We’ve been home only four days, running around with the silliness of everyday life. One of my thoughts while we were in Mexico detached from the CBC news, The National, magazines and newspapers (Well I have to confess that I snuck a peek at Globe and Mail headlines a few times) was that we are absolutely too wired here. My resolution when back home was to stop listening to the news during the day and to stop watching the National at night. I’ll paint instead.

Some people – especially in Mexico City, are attached to their devices – but in most of the places we visited we didn’t people walking down the street chatting into phones. They are with their friends talking and laughing and actually – yes actually physically talking and looking into their friends’ eyes. On a GO train before leaving home, I saw five young guys sit down and start to text each other. No kidding. Their mouths seemed to be in good shape. But their fingers were doing the communicating. What kind of world is that?
Jean Jacques Rousseau said once that if society did not keep moral pace with technological advances, it would become a madhouse. I know, you might be thinking – well, Lynda, you are using an Ipad and you use email more than the phone. True. But I also see my friends and actually talk with them.
   
Another thing I noticed in Mexico was that I was paying attention all the time -- totally engaged with the people, the old buildings, the narrow sidewalks and in people’s conversations. Not easy in another language because you can do two things at once when listening in English -- and so I often didn’t notice a car hurtling toward me until Bob yanked me out of the way.

What do scientists say – that we use only 20% of our brain’s capacity? In Mexico, I swear I was using about 40%. One day in Oaxaca toward the end of our two and a half weeks there, I noticed that the buildings on the familiar route we walked were becoming commonplace. It struck me that I’d stopped paying attention the way I had before.

So I’m going to attach a photo or two to each blog. I'll call Wide Eyed – referring to the opening of the camera lens and to my eyes that have seen something new and different.

Spring Melt

Snow Drops in March

We’re off to the Domain of Killien in Haliburton with friends for a few days now. I hope to post a blog while there.

See you soon,
Lynda

PS  We’re all under the same moon in this world. We all have the same hopes, wishes desires for our families, for a roof over our head and food to eat. We all want respect and we all need love. The moon shot is taken while lying in a Cancun hammock the night before we left.




No comments:

Post a Comment