Wednesday, March 7, 2012

And So to Sleep

Our server said, "My parents moved to Cancun thirty years ago to work in the tourist industry. Before they came here Cancun was just a fisherman's island surrounded by forest."

"When do most of the students come down here?" I asked. "Later on in March," she said. But it's not like it used to be. In the spa where my mother worked, four guys ripped a huge door from the steam room a few years ago. That was the tipping point. Since then, hotels have added a lot of restrictions -- parents with their kids don't like all the partying.

Bob and I are staying in an eco hotel, Rey del Caribe in downtown Cancun and if even if there was partying on the resort strip, we wouldn't hear it.

Of the seven places we've stayed, (one was our home stay), three hotels were favourites, the Camino Royal in Puebla, Medio Mundo in Merida and here in Cancun. The others were places to hang our hats.

We leave here early tomorrow and I'm pinching myself that we'll be in Caledon this time tomorrow night. "This trip has been intense," I said to Bob over dinner tonight. "Not as intense as flying to Dawson City," he said.

True, I thought. With flying we had all the navigation and weather issues to deal with and the concentration of five to six hours a day in the air.

Being in touch with you through this blog has been fun. I hope you've enjoyed the ride as much as I have. It will take time to process our Mexican adventure. Check back in for "Looking Back" -- coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment