Monday, February 27, 2012

Street Scenes

There are two stories about the indigenous people here. One is that they share many of the same problems Canada's native peoples do. But there's another story. Today we stumbled into a huge market with hundreds of stalls stuffed with purses, scarves, belts, hats, blouses, toys and other hand made items. These people, as Bob said, are also industrious business people.

Sure some are beggars -- but many women sell their wares in markets too. We saw men playing with and carrying their children too. So I'm reminded that often none of what we see is the real story.

Being here in Mexico for the last four weeks has been an an amazing experience and adjustment. I remember arriving here in San Cristobel where there are hardly any stop signs or stop streets. I had a horrible time getting the courage to cross streets and now after five days, I can hop across in no time. In the morning we wake up to crowing roosters and gonging church bells.

I've had 62 hours of Spanish classes here with homework in the evenings. Tomorrow is my last class. It was good to hear from my instructor today that I can carry on a conversation on any subject. I have to be told these things. I don't have that kind of recognition and understanding myself.

Tomorrow we go by bus to Palenque, then on to Campeche, Merida, Cancun and home.

The photos are of street scenes, women's indigenous clothing, one of our favourite restaurants, Tierra Dentro and the indigenous peoples' market.

See you in Palenque __

No comments:

Post a Comment