Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mexican Times

We've been here in San Cristobel de las Casas for three days. Like Oaxaca, the city is surrounded by mountains. But I'm shocked by the number of indigenous children who are working here. Today I saw a girl who couldn't have been more than six carrying a baby on her back while begging for handouts. It's very sad. Little kids hardly two years old wander around the until late at night. It's hard to say who their mothers are amongst the the plaza vendors.

This school is as well run as El Instituto and at I'm feeling comfortable with the language. My instructors have suggested I connect with Latin Americans in internet chat rooms to become more comfortable with speaking. What would we do without the internet?

The next few blogs are about different aspects of time in Mexico. This way the photos will be easier for you to sort out.

In Oaxaca the mid day meal, "la comida" is served at 2 pm. This timing totally broke up the day. So we decided to have only breakfast at the home stay. This started a pattern of having only breakfast and maybe a salad later on. With three hours a day walking along with Spanish lessons, my clothes are getting loose. Hurray!

We're going to a piano concert tonight. I hope all is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment