Thursday, February 2, 2012

City of Sculptures

Before leaving home a friend warned me not to carry a purse in Mexico City. But where do you put your stuff, I wondered. So the night we arrived on the way to dinner I clung to the purse slung across my shoulder and hugged my DSLR Nikon tight to my chest.
The next day I described to a seasoned Latin American traveler how I was keeping my stuff safe. "You'll attract attention that way!"
So now I just walk along and watch my back. We feel safe here. There are lots of police both the regular variety and and special tourist police.

Today at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe we saw penitents walking on their knees to the new basilica.

The old church is more like a museum now. You can see a photo of the hand of a saint in bronze below. All masses are held in the new church which is remarkable for its copper enamel art on the exterior. The colors are amazing.


We're on our way to Puebla now.
Hasta la vista




1 comment:

  1. Cool sculptures! Glad that you are there safe and sound. When do you head further south?

    Love Susan

    ReplyDelete