Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hello From Florianopolis

Hi from Florianopolis:

Forianopolis is one of those places that seems to have everything -- stunning beaches and scenery, friendly people and organized communities with services. Streets are clean, no stray dogs, no fully armed police walking the streets or hanging at the door of banks. It fact we haven't seen any police at all. It's a Brazilian wonder actually. We feel safe. I walk with my camera in full view and it doesn't attract attention. From what I hear I wouldn't want to walk anywhere in Sao Paulo with myself in full view. 

The home Brian and Regina are renting now has a cottage feel with wooden ceilings and walls and a loft. It's early spring here five hundred kilometres north of Argentina. Humidity is 80% and people are already in summer gear. We don't need to complain about heat in the summer. The average temp is 37 C in the summer going up to 43.

We were 33 hours en route from Caledon to our hotel in Florianopolis  -- three flights, one of them a ten hour red eye where I slept more or less bolt upright with a blanket over my head, clipped to my hair so it wouldn't fall down, envying the poor duffers lying flat out in First Class. 

Tomorrow when I purchase a connector to transfer photos from camera to iPad I'll send photos of the monkeys in the trees around Brian's house and other surprises. We are driving a Renault Duster with standard transmission and the first night rediscovered how difficult it is to back down a steep hill. Don't have an estimate yet on the bashed in back bumper. Yuk.

Hard to believe we are here with our Brazilian granddaughter who prefers to speak Portuguese. See you tomorrow. Keep warm. We are thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment