Saturday, November 21, 2015

Family and a Global Community


      Augustan de Lassus

 
   More below on Augustin de Lassus

Yesterday we met a gregarious American/Brazilian entrepreneur who started an organization of people from around the world living and working here in Florianopolis. He invited us to a dinner last evening in the same posh area of Jurere where we saw white mansions and miles of beaches the other day. 

It was such a heady experience the excitement of which was giving me a headache last night. It was so different from our peaceful Caledon life watching squirrels and deer. Next to me sat a Romanian mother who graduated in the marketing field in Bucharest.

           A heady group

Across from us a German linguist who analyses contracts written by criminals engaged in money laundering. He searches for language ambiguities for the federal police. As you know, Brazil is rife with corruption. There were 25 at the table last evening-- artists, lawyers, IT folks, investors, developers and on and on. 

      The German linguist

Yesterday in Jurere I stumbled into French artist Augustin de Lassus's gallery (His art is above). I love his his bold style and use of primary colours. Lassus has a small gallery near the shopping mall "Open Shopping." His style is called "naive."

I don't know how familiar you are with the work of the Spanish artist Joan Miro. Brian, Bob and I saw an exhibition of his work at the Florian art gallery last Sunday. His work is evocative and complex.

               Joan Miro

Geometric Artist Cassia Aresta

Today we are going to a beach to play paddle ball. We met Cassia Aresta, one of the top ten geometric artists in Brazil at a cafe in St. Antonio on the way to Brian's place. She invited us to her studio.

Later, Bob and I stood looking at Cassia's art spread out on a large work table. "What does it mean to you? she asked me. I struggled to find an answer because geometric art isn't like symbolic, impressionistic or landscape art where you can easily find meaning. And yet the concept for some of Cassia's art is a photograph rendered into shapes. So I talked about the design and the relationship of one shape to another -- the space in between. Not a very enlightened answer I'm afraid.







                    Aresta's work

Life is exciting, complex and sometimes a stuggle. I suppose if it weren't we couldn't grow and develop. I wish Bob and I could stay longer here. We are only just scratching the surface and two years is far too long to be away from a son and a granddaughter.

More soon. We fly to Tampa on a red eye late next Tuesday. If an iPad USB adapter isn't too expensive, I'll send the photos you've missed next week from Florida.

More soon. Hugs, Lynda 


No comments:

Post a Comment