Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Stolen!



As I said to Bob on the bus today, the hard part about Ecuador is getting around. After two long bus trips and two taxi rides, (one was an hour), we are here in Otavalo, about 100 kilometres from the Columbian border. 

We've felt safe here. We've also guarded our property. I remember the owner of our first B&B warning us, "Don't fall asleep on the buses." But I got complacent, I suppose. If my documentation isn't in a hotel safe, it's on my body.

On the last leg of our trip here today, the person behind me on the bus pulled the strap of my camera bag toward him -- (It was on the floor by my left foot.) -- in order to remove the camera. So when I reached down for my camera, the camera bag was empty. Big shock. As I've said to many people on this trip,"My camera is my right hand."

I'm chastened and sad. But it is only a material possession and not a mortal injury. It's a lesson and from now on I'll try to be more aware. 


Taken with my iPad from our hotel window. 

More tomorrow -- most people are good. In Latagunga a cafe owner who had lived in New Orleans for 20 years said to us, "Ecuadorians are half honest." I said, "Well so far we've found everyone honest and friendly."


No comments:

Post a Comment