Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas in Banos


It wasn't long ago that you'd see nativity scenes in most Ecuadorian towns at Christmas. But television and tourism have morphed the Christ child into Santa Claus with an inventive flavour. I love this snowman in the central plaza. The belly, head and lower part of the hat are made with car and buggy tires. The upper part of his hat is an inverted pail.





A Christmas Tree


A brewing storm.


There is a one week fiesta happening her in Banos. This woman is pushing sugar cane though a juicer. Lots of kids are lining up for the stuff. They suck the hard bits that are left. Might not be so great for their teeth. Ecuador has good dental care though :)


This is a typical Banos business. Some places are more spiffy.  This trip has shaken me out of my comfort zone. Our lifestyles are so gobsmackingly easy. We have every comfort in the world and, I have to admit, I take everything at home for granted -- until we have a power outage.





This scene reminded me so much of Kathmandu and the festival of Dashain. Here the priest is getting ready to bless a car. I tried to be discreet -- but it looks as though he caught me in the act. People here do not enjoy tourists taking their pictures.


The girl on the left is about 11 all dressed up in heels.


Gold for the festival.


Well marked evacuation routes. The areas one the right are endangered. Refuge centres are in green.





Our room here in Banos


is connected to a spa offering every imaginable treatment and I've checked out many.

Enma, my instructor here in Banos said the other day that everyone in the world wants the best for the children. They want the things they see on television. "But our kids here in Ecuador need a better technological education. We need to start manufacturing our own products."

I've heard so many times now that the average take home pay is $350, I believe it. My instructor, Enma, is an accountant with a four year university degree. But her wage doesn't cover her daughter's university education. Many people have more than one job here.

We leave Banos the day after tomorrow by bus for Latacunga. It's a jumping off point for a three day loop around Laguna Quilotoa, a beautiful volcanic crater lake with an elevation of 3,500m. If the weather cooperates, I'll post photos of the tourquoise lake, mountain ranges and the active volcano, Cotopaxi. If we feel feisty, we'll go on a five hour hike around the rim of the crater.

We're going up 400 metres to a tree house at the top of the mountain now.

Hasta pronto. Seems funny to not hear Christmas carols.




No comments:

Post a Comment