Monday, April 1, 2013

Scouting Around

I'd like you to meet a couple of people I've spent time with this last week. The first is three year old Cristabel, cute as a button. We've had some good conversations she and I. So today when she came into the eating area, a vision in pink, I asked her if I could take her photo. "Si," she said and immediately struck this pose.

 

Cristabel

 

 

 

 

"Where did you learn to pose like that?" I asked her. She probably wondered why I was laughing. "Another?" she asked, running to get her purse.

 

purse in hand

Where do kids learn this stuff? Her grandmother, Dona Elena, has lived in the house for 50 years. When Elena's husband died 15 years ago, she asked herself, Where to from here?

 

Dona Elena cooking over her wood fired stove

Over the years, as dribbles of money came in, she added rooms to the home her husband built when she was a bride of 18. Now it's a handsome B & B.

 

looking out from the dining area

 

Most houses edge up to the street. I imagine that some might be lovely once through the door.

La Casa de Dona Elena

Today, all of a sudden, the school's director told me that my tomorrow morning's bus had been cancelled. "You have options, though," he said. "There's a bus leaving in a couple of hours for San Pedro Sula."

If you've ever visited Nelson B.C. in the winter, you know all about cancellations. In fact, the nearest airport town to Nelson is nicknamed "Cancelgar." So, well practiced in transportation changes, I rushed to the B & B, packed my bags and had time to take a few shots of the neighbourhood.

 

you get used to the poverty

 

 

Honduras' future

I'm in San Pedro now. Luckily, the B&B where I stayed three weeks ago had a room. It's probably better I'm here. As the owner said, "You never know, the bus could run into a mudslide or an accident.

I'll post again tomorrow.

Hasta pronto

 

No comments:

Post a Comment